Abbeyleix Golf ClubDistance from the hotel: 15km
€ Green Fees from €15
The new 18 hole course at Abbeyleix is fast developing a reputation
as one of the best courses in the midlands. Designed by
the well known Golf Architect Mel Flanigan, the new 18
hole layout will prove a fair test of Golf for
players of all categories.
Island” between the Portlaoise and Ballyroan Roads.It is not
known when the club moved to Ballymullen, but what is
certain is,that the Club and its Links were based in
Ballymullen in the years just prior to 1920. (Abbeyleix
Golf Club was one of the only two Golf Clubs in
existance in Laois, the other being Portarlington.Geen
fees were charged at 2/- (10p) per day.)
In 1921 the Club moved out to Heywood, Ballinakill. Co. Laois.
In 1927 the Club moved to Rathmoyle, Abbeyleix. Co. Laois.
On 23rd Sep 1930 the Ladies were affiliated to the ILGU.
In 1932 the Club returned to Ballymullen.
In October 1934 it was decided to use Rathmoyle as a winter Links ( From the 1st November 1934 to 1st May 1935)
In 1937 the Golf Club was closed.
The Club was re-established on 28th May 1948 at
Rathmoyle Abbeyleix. In June 1949 the Club was
registered as a licenced premises for the sale of
Abbeyleix Golf Club was established as an 18 Hole
Golf Course 17th September 2000 ( Patrick Murphy GUI
officialy opened the Golf Course)